Monday, October 3, 2011

Bill's Bits


It happened during my High School days in Jackson, Minnesota. I had always wanted a Cushman Motor Scooter and to my suprise, my Dad bought a good used one for me.
At first it was riding it around the neighborhood and then I got the idea of riding it to school. It was during that time that I got to know the Jackson City Police Chief, P. E. "Pearly"
De Moure.

Because the cafeteria in the High School was now down at the new Elementary Building, the distance to get to lunch was about 5 blocks away.  Trying to be first in line at the Elementary was hard because some of us got out of class later than others. So I decided to beat the crowd by riding my Cusman motor scooter down the 5 blocks to beat the runners and walkers.  I usually rode there alone, but one day, Hugh Craven, asked for a ride because he had broken his leg and was hobbled up with a cast.  I said o.k. and away we went.

About the third day we were doing the ride,  Police Chief, Pearly De Moure, was waiting for me in the middle of the last intersection before the Elementary School.

At that point, I told Hugh to go on alone, because I felt that I would be getting a lecture from Pearly.  Before he uttered a word, I told him that I knew he would be telling me that my riding to lunch was a "no-no." He mentioned the fact that it could be dangerous and would not be safe, because of cars going by.  I totally agreed and said that I would cease the practice of riding to lunch on my scooter. He agreed that I could still ride it to school, but during the day it had to be parked by the back entrance of the H.S.. So now, my Scooter was just used to go to school and back home after classes were out for the day and no more talks with Mr. DeMoure.

About a week later, My Dad and I were cleaning the barn and Dad said to me, "I was in town the other day and talked with Pearley DeMoure." ( I now knew that lecture number two would be coming up.) Dad went on to say that he and Pearly had dicussed my scooter riding at noon, and how it could have affected the safety of  people. My Dad did acknowledge the fact that I had not sassed the Chief and that I acted like a gentleman. That part pleased my Dad, but he did go on to say that he would impose a two week period of no scooter riding for me.  Then it was back to riding the school bus 40 miles each school day.

All in all, it was a learning situation for "yours truly" and the lesson to be learned is, always be polite and attentive when dealing with people that are older and wiser because, basically, they are really  there to be of help. Last, but certainly not least, is the fact that one should always fill in their parents about what has transpired in regard to one's behavior.

There you have it!  "A lesson taught, is a lesson learned," and I  believe that I am a better person for it, scooter or no scooter.

No comments: